Saturday, February 18, 2023

Gift in Progress

 Sometimes a project comes along that must be done rather than wants to be done. The kind of project that you see a pattern and know that you will spend the next who knows how long to get it done.

This was the Fellowship of the Ring pattern (Rav Link), which is really just a chart to follow for a rather wide scarf. Once I saw this chart I knew that my coworker needed to have it.

Said coworker loves Lord of the Rings and usually reads through them at least once a year. Shortly before this pattern was released, he'd mentioned that due to a health issue, he'd not been able to read the books that year as he didn't have the focus for reading. 

Seeing this pattern and how it was basically the whole story in a series of images would allow him to 'read' the story by looking at the scarf. I'm anticipating this being more like a scroll hung on a wall or pulled out of a drawer though, as he lives in a rather warm climate.

I decided to double knit this in black and light blue Loops & Threads Impeccable acrylic and I'm quite happy with how it's coming out. My tension isn't perfect as I'm knitting one colour continental and the other English, but it's not glaring, and has been practice for both types of knitting.

There are 9 sections all told in the scarf, and I've completed 6.5, so I'm very much on the home stretch and excited to get it done so I can surprise my coworker.


I'm hoping to have this done by the end of March. Any sooner would be awesome too but as a mother of two very young children I'm being realistic.





No comments:

Post a Comment